April 14, 2009 by amucklow
You are invited to CHANGE MORE THAN YOUR CLOTHES at Ireland’s annual ethical fashion week. It will take place in Dublin from 26th April – 2nd May.
This year for it’s second outing, ‘FASHION EVOLUTION’ will re -dress current consumption patterns and habits and will call for Irish consumers and industry leaders to get active through swapping, knitting, skilling-up, talking and learning.
‘FASHION EVOLUTION’ is an awareness campaign that will focus on ethical and environmental issues within the Irish and international fashion industry. In this time of economic hardship, Fashion Evolution looks to lighten the load by offering entertaining and engaging alternatives to consumers of fashion, through a series of events, from a national clothes swap to a public exhibition of Irish design and interactive seminars.
• CRAFTERNOON TEA -This full day of fashion workshops, combined with music and art will allow the public to be part of the fashion process and take home work of their own, showing that it’s easy and fun to be sustainable.
• Café Conference –a cafe style seminar with a heavyweight line-up of Irish and international speakers, including Peter Ingwersen CEO of high-end luxury label Noir (former Brand Manager of Levi’s Europe), Christine Driscoll, Business Development Manager of EDUN Live and award winning ethical fashion designer Izzy Lane. The conference is open to all with an interest in the fashion industry. Tickets are €35 and €20 for students, available from email@example.com.
• The Irish Premiere of China Blue – Shot clandestinely at a blue jeans factory in Southern China, where a 17-year old Jasmine and her friends work around the clock for pennies, China Blue reveals what international retail companies don’t want us to see: how the clothes we buy are actually made.
• An Evening with Patricia Roberts – Come to sit, knit and listen to Britain’s most iconic knitwear designer speak about her designs and reviving knitting in the 21st century.
• National Swap Day Saturday 2nd May – As clothes swapping sweeps the land, Fashion Evolution is encouraging everyone around the country to breakout of our consumerist throw -away culture, to spring clean those wardrobes and throw their own clothes swap party.
Other events include:
The Fashion Breakthrough trade event in The Loft Market, Powerscourt Townhouse Centre, an Ethical Fashion Show hosted by Fashion Breakthrough, an exhibition of Irish design by Fashion Breakthrough, guerrilla knitting and a 10% discount for in participating vintage shops around the city.
For more information and regular event updates click here.